Here is info for Barss Corner church for this week, April 13…
- Tomorrow is “Bring a friend” Sunday for our Sunday School and church. We will also have a lunch together after church, so bring some food and a good appetite.
- on Good Friday there will be a combined area worship service at the United Church in New Germany at 11 AM. Prior to that there will also be a walk in New Germany, with people carrying a big cross, starting at 9:30 at the Anglican church.
- Good Friday at 6 PM there will be a family movie night at the Anglican Hall in New Germany, featuring The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
- Wednesday, April 17 at 10 AM, there will be a session at the Union Square Hall about how to protect yourself from “Frauds and Scams.” No charge, tea and coffee available.
- April 28, our Lunenburg-Queens Baptist Association is hosting our annual spring rally, this year at Bridgewater Baptist Church. Pot-luck supper at 5 pm, then music and teaching from 6 – 8 pm. The speaker is Bob Knowles from Crandall University.
- There is a women’s retreat at Open Bible church in Bridgewater, May 4. Phone Donna Strickland for details. 523-2485. RSVP by April 24.
- There is a women’s retreat at Liverpool Baptist Church, May 4, 9:00 – 12:30.
- If you happen to run into Hartley Frank tomorrow (Sunday), you should wish him a happy 93rd birthday.
- Congratulations to Franklyn and Sylvia Hawkesworth on their son David’s very successful defense of his Master’s thesis at Acadia Divinity College recently.
- Congratulations to Melanie Mader on her recent retirement.
On the web:
I spoke this week with a local social worker. I enjoy picking people’s brains, like hers. I asked about some of the biggest problems she sees people face. She said, by far, the biggest issue she sees people face in the broader New Germany area is …. LONELINESS. She’s not alone, and our area is not unique. Here is one of the many articles on the web on the topic of how big of a problem loneliness is becoming in our society… https://www.governing.com/topics/health-human-services/gov-the-loneliness-epidemic.html
Also, I listened this week to a podcast episode that didn’t feel very worthwhile at first. But certain stories stuck with me for several days. It is an interview with the director of ALPHA USA. Alpha is a program we have done here before. Around the world it has been one of our generation’s most effective evangelism programs. Hear it at https://soundcloud.com/christianitytoday/february-13-2019